Lush Vegetable Yellow Curry with Garlic Griddled Bread
This is such a simple recipe to make up, you can go to the bother of making your own curry paste if you like but I find that the shop bought jar works just as well here.
2 tablespoons of yellow curry paste
2 onions roughly diced
1 medium butternut squash
500ml vegetable stock
200ml light coconut milk
75g red split lentils
2 yellow peppers deseeded and roughly chopped
140g frozen peas
100g bag of baby spinach
4 bread slices of your choosing
2 fat cloves of garlic
· Prepare the butternut squash, you can peel the skin using a good peeler or carefully slice it off with a sharp knife. Cut down lengthways through the centre and using a dessert spoon, scoop out the seeds and stringy membrane, discard. Chop the squash into bite sized cubes and set aside.
· In a large saucepan heat the curry paste on a medium/high heat, add a little water to stop it catching.
· Add in the onions after a few mins and cook until softened. Add the butternut squash and cook for a further 5 mins (add a splash of water from time to time if needed).
· To this add in the stock, coconut milk and lentils and bring to the boil then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 15 mins until the lentils are tender. Add the peppers and cook for a further 8 mins.
· Stir in the peas and add the spinach to the top, cover with a lid and allow the spinach to wilt for about 2 mins, remove the lid and gently stir the wilted spinach leaves into the curry. Take the curry off the heat and allow to stand for a few mins with the lid back on.
· In the meantime heat a dry griddled pan up to full heat. Drizzle the bread with a little olive oil on the cut side and place them face down on the hot pan, allow them to toast for 2 mins and remove them when toasted and marked with the lines of the pan. Cut a fat clove of garlic in half and run the cut side on the toasted side of the bread.
· Once all breads are toasted and flavoured, serve with the curry.