Lavender shortcakes with strawberries
These shortcakes are very easily made up and are lovely by themselves just with a cup of tea. You could try chopped rosemary instead of the lavender.
150g plain flour
1 egg yolk
100g softened butter
50g caster sugar
Few sprigs of fresh or dried lavender
1 tablespoon of orange juice
1. Preheat the oven at 190ºc and lightly grease 2 baking trays.
2. Beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, add in the egg yolk and the lavender flower heads. Now add the flour and mix to a soft dough.
3. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured work surface to about 3mm thick. (It does tend to break up easily but work patiently with it) Stamp out 10-12 with a 3inch cookie cutter.
4. Transfer gently to the baking sheets and place in oven for 10 mins until golden. Allow to cool for a minute before transferring to cooling rack.
5. Wash and hull the strawberries. Separate and slice ⅔ of them and place in a mixing bowl. Puree the remaining strawberries with the orange juice and push through a sieve to remove the seeds. Stir the puree into the strawberry slices.
6. To serve place one shortcake on a small plate and top with a few strawberry slices, top with another shortcake. Spoon a little puree on the side for decoration.