This is a lasagne from scratch; I even make my own pasta sheets these days but feel free to buy the sauces in the shops. However if you have the time, try this recipe out full… you wont regret it!
500g of minced beef
2 rashers of smoked streaky bacon
1 large onion
2 sticks of celery
2 cloves of garlic
1 heaped tablespoon of dried/fresh oregano
2 tins chopped, peeled tomatoes
150g Parmesan cheese
1x500ml tub of low fat crème fraiche
250g dried lasagne sheets
Sea salt & black pepper
1. Finely chop up the bacon. Finely chop the onion, celery, carrots and garlic and set aside.
- Place a large pan on a high heat and add a good splash of olive oil, bacon and the oregano, fry until the bacon is colouring slightly. Add in the chopped onion, celery, carrots and garlic and stir around every minute for about 7-8 mins. Add in the mince with the tinned tomatoes and fill one tin with water ad pour it in also. Season well, bring to the boil then turn down heat and simmer with lid on for around 45mins.
- Preheat oven to 190ºc. Remove the sauce from the heat and grate in about a quarter of the Parmesan and stir it in. have a quick taste and season a little more if required.
- In an ovenproof dish spoon a layer of your sauce in, about a third of it. Place a single layer of pasta sheets and spread a third of the crème fraiche, season and grate another quarter of the Parmesan over.
- Repeat step 4 another 2 times finishing with a grater layer of Parmesan on top.
- Cover with foil and bung into the oven for about 20 mins. Remove the foil and cook for a further 30-40 mins until golden and bubbling.