Wednesday 21 September 2011

Red Velvet



Red Velvet

Cupcakes

Lately a friend on Facebook Asked me would I make a Red Velvet cake and put up the recipe and pictures and insisted that it had cream cheese frosting (fussy, I know!!). Now the problem is when I make a cake I normally scoff the lot so i thought I'd make these cup cakes instead... you see this way I can still scoff the lot but convince myself that it was only a few cupcakes... not just a pretty face!!! Niamh, apologies these are about 6 weeks late however, All good things come to those who wait (and nag a little).



Makes 12:
100g self raising flour
15g cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder

115g softened butter
115g caster sugar
2 medium eggs
2 teaspoons of red food colouring

For the frosting:
200g cream cheese
200ml double cream
6 tablespoons of icing sugar



Method

  • Preheat the oven to 180c. Line a muffin tray with 12 muffin cases.
  • In a large mixing bowl sift in the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder. To this add the softened butter, caster sugar, eggs and the food colouring (be very careful with this as it stains anything it touches). Mix all together with a wooden spoon or with a slow setting on a electric hand mixer.
  • When well combined spoon the mixture into the muffin cases up to just over half way.
  • Bake in the preheated oven for 15 mins, they are ready when you can press them gently and they spring back. Take out and cool on a wire rack.
  • For the frosting, in a bowl gently whisk together the cream cheese and icing sugar then add the double cream. whisk until slightly stiffened.
  • Pipe the cream on top of the cupcakes in what ever designs you like... get the kids involved! Everyone will love Red Velvet Cupcakes!

4 comments:

  1. I love the colour of velvet cakes and cupcakes, even though I try not to use artificial ingredients. I should try this cupcakes, my red velvet cake was one big disaster ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. See - my fussiness paid off Paul judging by all the comments on Facebook!!!!!!!! So stop moaning

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you use drinking chocolate instead, have to practice icing them -- wonder is their any classes on it -they look delicious

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...