Sticky marinated duck breast with stir fry veg and noodles
My first experience of eating duck came a few years back from a local chinese... it put me off for quite some time! So one day i decided to give it a go cooking it. The difference was unreal, it wasnt slimey or leave a bad after taste so i am now a duck fan. I know it is a bit more expensive then the likes of chicken but as a treat every now and then there is nothing better!
2 duck breasts about 150g-200g each
1 large orange
2 tablespoons of honey
1 sprig of thyme
3 spring onions
A handful of green beans
1 red pepper
1 quarter head of brocolli
Tumb sized piece of ginger
1 fat clove of garlic
2 tablespoons of soy sauce
Sea salt and black pepper
- Score the skin on the fillets in criss-cross fashion set them in a dish an squeeze half an orange over them, pour a tablespoon of honey over each fillet. Pick the leaves off the sprig of thyme and sprinkle over the top along with the chopped chilli and some salt and pepper and massage it all into the skin. Cover with cling-film and set aside for at least 20 mins.
- In the meantime chop the carrots, green beans and pepper into batons, slice the spring onions angle ways and finely chop the garlic and ginger.
- Place a frying pan on a hot hob and preheat oven to full whack!
- When the pan is hot place the duck breasts in skin side down for about 2-3 mins, they might look like they are burning but it is only the marinade, turn them over and brown the underside for 2 mins then into an oven proof dish and pour the juices over along with a squeeze of the other half of the orange. Bung into the oven and turn down to 200degrees for 10 mins.
- Place your noodles into a pot of hot water and follow the cooking instructions on the packet.
- Place a wok on a hot hob and pour a splash of olive oil in, add the ginger, garlic and spring onion and stir around for a min before adding the rest of the veg. stir-fry for 4-5 mins only so they still hold a 'bite'.
- Remove the duck from the oven (to know if it is done push down wit a fork, if it is too springy it needs another few min) allow a few mins to rest before slicing.
- Serve however suits you!